Monday, May 5, 2008

From Pat Howell

Dear BCLR Family & Friends,


You may have heard about the recent cyclone that has ravaged Myanmar. News reports describe much of the country and particularly Yangon (Rangoon) as being devastated by the storm.

It is estimated that 10,000 people have lost their lives.  Obviously, this number may increase. 100,000's are homeless.  Power is out throughout much of the country.  Food prices are rising precipitously.  Sanitation problems are already evident and very problematic.  Basic necessities are at a premium throughout much of the country.

As you pray, be advised that Chris Williams (our recent missions conference speaker) is currently in Myanmar accompanied by Tom and Lisa Schuck.  (Tom teaches at the Pastoral Training Institute in Pune, India).  Do pray for their safety--and for their ministries to the Kachin and others in these days.

I will keep you posted once I hear from Chris, but communication to and from Myanmar is fraught with difficulty.

I am scheduled to join Chris in Myanmar in July.  Please pray that my trip will remain on the calendar and that somehow, God will bring blessing through us and even greater opportunities to bless these dear people.

Serving with you,

Pat Howell

3 comments:

Kathie said...

I have been praying off and on since I heard of the cyclone. Thank you for the update, especailly the knowledge that Chris is there. I will be praying for him and his family in India, I imagine it would be hard for his wife and children. I know you will keep us updated as you get info...thank you.

Becky Arnold said...

Thanks for keeping us updated. These people have been dear to our hearts since Luke (my son) went over there with Tom (my father-in-law). They so love the Lord and would do anything for more teaching! And they have nothing at all, yet give out of their poverty. I pray that we hear something soon from these believers in Yangon. We'll be praying.

Rob Bailey said...

there is some good coverage of the disaster at the BBC website. they definitely do a better job covering Myanmar than the American news/gossip media outlets. the more we know about the disaster the more precisely we can pray.