Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Johnsons - Nairobi/ILA - 9/20/08

I leave tomorrow afternoon for Ethiopia and Kenya where we are helping the national Campus Crusade staff and church leaders who work with them to start and upgrade their church planters training. I’m teaching this week in Addis Ababa and next week in Nairobi on small group ministry.
 
In both Kenya and Ethiopia the local name of ILA (International Leadership Academies) is Transformational Leadership Centre or TLC.
 
Here is a report from Don Lovell, the ILA-USA director reporting on the ILA class that just graduated from the first ILA in Kenya, a 10 month residential format.
 
In the grip of His love,
Mike


From: Don Lovell
Sent: Saturday, September 20, 2008 1:20 PM

I am now in Addis Ababa getting ready to start the Ethiopian TLC training. Last week I was in Nairobi. where TLC-1 has ended with the graduation of 18 trainees on September 13th. The trainees planted 8 churches while in training (10 months).

Here are some comments they made:

Jeconiah, “I planted a church – Deliverance Good News Church - with the help of Kennedy. I have learned to be a servant leader.”
 
Daniel, “I thought I knew a lot as a trainer in the telecom industry, but I have learn many new approaches to training people. I have learned to build people for ministry service. Jadiel and I have planted a team led church.”

Pastor Elijah (older senior pastor), “The small group dynamics showed me how to use small group leaders to shepherd people.”

Denis, “I have understood how to preach from the Bible. I have learned to work with a team.”

Pastor Jackson (who has planted many churches.) “I thought I had learned everything. I now train my members to reach out and to grow.” TLC has taught me to be accountable to others. It has changed my personal life and the way I treat others.”

Kennedy, “I have learned how to multiply using the Church Based training.” “Biblical Interpretation and Application has changed how I learn from the scriptures.”

Rose, “Many visitors are coming to the cell groups.”

Benard, “I have applied servant leadership, especially in my family. I have 10 years experience in leading a church, but now I minister differently – I empower people for ministry.”

Frances O., “people use to come late to my teaching, but now they are on time. I had neglected my family life to do ministry, but now my relationship with my wife has come back. I am now responsible with family finances.”

Michael, “The course on Spiritual Disciplines changed my devotional life.” “Before I commanded people and now I align people for ministry. I have learned to be accountable.”

Frances K., “ I have a vision to equip others. I am working with 20 pastors to train them. In my devotional life I actually let the Bible speak to me.”

Pastor Joseph, “My church in Kibera was destroyed in the violence after the election. I am now building it back in a new way with small groups.”

Faith, “I have 3 small groups with 27 people. Three additional small groups are led by leaders I have trained.”  TLC has changed the way I apply the Word to my life. I can listen to others and help them.”

Keep praying, Don

No comments: